Monday, October 4, 2010

A LIST OF NEW EXPERIENCES IN MY LIFE ALL THANKS TO NYSC.

Lately I have been thinking of a lot of stuff that I had done this year especially here in Akwa-Ibom and was surprised with what I had done within the short time that I have been here.

This NYSC scheme has caused me to do lots of things that I never ever thought I would ever do so I decided to put in writing and amuse you all with my “firsts” in this life. Even if I do not appreciate this scheme for all it has put me through, I would be grateful for all the experiences that I have had.

So here we go:
1. Flying after a veery long time: I used to fly when I was a young girl but the memory had practically faded away so NYSC helped me in refreshing my memory and scaring me from using that means of transport for a short while. I am grateful for the fact that I used it so when I decide to go to a destination that I can only get there by that means I won’t be so terrified.

2. Going to the South-south Region of Nigeria: I have never left my home state to go anywhere for a long time (except for school which was close–by and still in the west), so going to the south-south where there has been a lot of bad stuff happening was a very new experience for me. Like I have said before, I didn’t even know where the state was. Now I know how the state is thanks to NYSC.

3. Sleeping with a guy in the same bed: Before you guys get funny ideas, I only slept in the same bed with the guy and did not sleep with the guy so ‘thou shall not go there’. That experience occurred because of a condition that I could not control and not because I wanted it. I was stuck and only one bed was available so we had to do what we had to do. I slept under the sheets and he slept on top of the sheets (just like I had seen it been done in movies) and with the lights on. I also made sure I slept at the outer side of the bed just to prevent any thing from happening even though I trusted him.

Did I mention that it was in a hotel/motel with other corps members around? I practically had to hide myself in the bathroom when a fellow corps member came in the morning so that she wouldn’t think otherwise. I know to some of you, you would say what is the big deal? But to me it is a very, very, very big deal. I value my reputation and I don’t like been called what I am not. So I had to behave like a ‘mouse’ hiding even though I had done nothing wrong but people would always be people and say what they want to say.

4. Staying in a Hotel for 10 days & nights: Due to the fact that I was stuck in this state while trying to change my place of primary posting I had to stay in a hotel (it can be called a mini hotel/brothel) for that long spending almost #25,000 on hotel bills. According to some, I was living it big but to me I just wanted to go home. I was tired of floating.

5. Traveling round the whole state: I am more of a sit at home rat/person but with all the whole trouble after camp I ended up going to various places in this state. I was practically jumping from one area to another. From Abak to Uyo to Ibesipko Asutan to Eket to Etinan and so on, you get my drift.

6. Carrying a bucket of water from a far distance: I have never carried a bucket of water from a far distance like a mile/ kilometer or something like that. I had to do that here. I have had to carry buckets of water from far distances just because where I am once there is no electricity for at least a day and half there will be no water flowing from the taps. And since the hospital management had decided not to include the doctor’s quarters in the hospital emergency electricity grid, we gotta do with the endurance carrying if we want to remain reasonably clean.

7. Learning stuff that I never knew: I have had my laptop for a while but there were so many things I did not know about it that I seem to have been enlightened about. There are also many stuff about life that I have had learn here all thanks to the guys that I have been rolling with. I would soon write about the guys. You might be amused by their antics.

Besides all the experiences, i have had to be reminded of the little and great things that I had taken for granted in Lagos. When I go back to Lagos (by God’s grace in December/January), I am going to appreciate every thing I have the chance to do. I have never appreciated the fact that Lagos has places like Galleria, Palms, all the cinemas and all the other fun spots or the fact that you can watch over 8 different channels without using Satellite TV. So if you see grinning from ear to ear when I am in any of such places understand my plight. The best part that I have appreciated about Lagos and missed a lot is the FABULOUS radio stations that it has. They are simply off the hook even the ones I didn’t listen to are far better off than the ones here.

Well, that is enough ‘firsts’ that I can think of for now. Hope I didn’t bore you. And for ya all folks who think I write well and have said it, I say THANK YOU. I take my inspiration from God through the books I have read and from Carrie Bradshaw of ‘The Sex and the City’ fame. Even though I am no where close to what she is supposed to be and there is no sex and city (New York) in my life. It is just me saying/writing what I feel when I like.

Till I write again, it is your petite diva signing out.
Luv ya all.

P.S: If you have any comments about anything I have written, you can holla at me here or on my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...